Spotlight Does Not Work on your MacOs - How To Mend this error

macos

Spotlight is a wonderful feature on your MacOS that help users search items and the details on their Mac.
But sometimes, Spotlight can stop working. In this case, you will find it is not easy to fix it by restarting. So how can you fix it? The best way is to reindexing Spotlight.

The following guidance will show you:

• Firstly, you need to open Terminal and paste the following command: sudo mdutil -a -i off
  • You will be required your admin password. After doing this step, indexing will be disable.

• Afterwards, run the following path:
    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Note: If you are informed that the process cannot complete because system integrity protection is turned on, you then must Boot Mac in Safe Mode and turn off system integrity protection.

• After you succeed in running the above command, continue running the following:
    sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
  • Finally, use the path below to turn on Spotlight indexing again:
    sudo mdutil -a -i on.

Make sure that you remember to turn on the system integrity protection.

If your Spotlight keeps breaking and you have to reindex it time to time, I would suggest you that the problem lies on something else and you need to find another method to solve this issue to the root.

0 Likes