Too many users looking for free NTFS solution after upgrading to MacOS Mojave. Right now, mac users can install ntfs-3g via Terminal to Read and Write NTFS in OS X 10.11. However, this solution is for the one do not access NTFS Volume frequently due to low data transferring speed and complicated to install.
#The weakness of NTFS-3G
- Complicated installation
- The read/write speed to NTFS partition is not optimized and similar to native HFS+
- Limited to accessing to big number of files and large volume of Data
- That does not support all Hard driver Brands leads to a very common “ntfs-3g could not mount” error
- Unable to create, verify and repair NTFS partitions
- Does not optimize the operations on SSDs.
At for paid professional NTFS software we would suggest Paragon NTFS 15 should be best NTFS driver for Mac due to it’s functionality and reasonable price (Paragon even offers 30 day money-back to guarantee their product’s quality). Go to this topic to get updated 20% OFF coupon on Paragon NTFS purchase.
NTFS-3G installation instruction
Firstly, launch Terminal.
- Install Homebrew:
Use the following command to install Homebrew.
ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”
- Then update Homebrew:
- Install Install Homebrew Cask:
brew install caskroom/cask/brew-cask
- Install osxfuse
brew cask install osxfuse
- Install ntfs-3g
brew install homebrew/fuse/ntfs-3g
Latest NTFS-3G can be downloaded from here.
In Mac OS X El Capitan, some NTFS Softwares can not be launched due to Rootless. What is Rootless? Find it your self. The point is how to disable Rootless?
sudo nvram boot-args=“rootless=0”
And then reboot.
Here is how to Create a symlink for mount_ntfs
sudo mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.original
sudo ln -s /usr/local/sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs