Instruction to Create a Bootable Catalina Installer USB in MacOS and Windows

Instruction to Create a Bootable Catalina Installer USB in MacOS and Windows

MacOS Catalina has just been released. In the following instruction, we will show you step by step how to make an Bootable USB of MacOS Catalina installation in Mac and Windows 10/8/7.

To be clear, our instruction will create an bootable USB of Catalina installer which can be used on a Mac or a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion and Virtual Box in MacOS only. We will release another topic for Hackintosh soon enough.

You will need an USB with at least 9Gb of space. The drive comes in 16, 32, 64, 128, and 256GB storage varieties, so it seems 16 Gb is your only choice.

How to create a Bootable Install macOS Catalina USB on a Mac?

Step 1: Download MacOS Catalina.app from App Store into Applications folder.
From your MacOS, it’s easy to download the official Install macOS Catalina.app from App Store into the Applications folder by just use the upgrade function (Apple Logo > About This Mac > Software Update…).

In the case you are using Catalina already, download the Install macOS Catalina.app from this topic, then move it into Applications folder.

Step 2: Plug your USB drive into your Mac.

Step 3: Open Terminal (found in Applications/Utilities/), the enter the following command line:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/UNTITLED && echo Catalina Boot Drive Created

Make sure you replace “UNTITLED” with your USB flash drive name. For example, my USB drive is mount under “AppleHint” name, I did enter the following:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/AppleHint && echo Catalina Boot Drive Created

This USB is ready to use to install the new Catalina on any Macs

How to make a Bootable Install macOS Catalina Installer USB in Windows 10,8,7,…

• Download the Bootable Catalina Installer.ISO from here. And then use a Free tool such as Rufus to restore the ISO image into the USB drive.

I personally recommend using TransMac to create a bootable USB of Catalina Installer in Windows.

You have just created successfully a Bootable USB of Catalina installer for a fresh install on Mac.