In this thread, we show a specific tutorial to Install and Run a Mac OS X (El Capitan, Yosemite, Maverick) inside Mac OS X using VirtualBox.
- Download Virtual Box (Free) here.
- Mac OS X (El Capitan, Yosemite, Maverick, Lion).app from Apple store.
We would suggest downloading Yosemite from here, El Capitan from here, and Maverick from here.
- A tool to handle the InstallESD.dmg named Github v1.2.0.
1. Configure the VirtualBox machine
+, RAM: At least 2048 MB or more.
+, Enable EFI mode.
+, If you face black screen when booting into the virtual machine, we need to set the chipset from ICH9 to PIIX3.
A, Create a new virtual machine
Setting > System.
2. Prepare Install Disk
- Open Terminal, use the following command line to install iesd
gem install iesd
iESD requires to install ruby-1.9.2 or later. Use the two following command lines to install Ruby.
ruby -e “$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)”
brew install rbenv ruby-build
3. Make Yosemite, Mavericks or El Capitan bootable
- No matter the OS X 10.9, 10.10 or 10.11, the InstallESD.dmg is not bootable. We therefore need to make a bootable file by BaseSystem.dmg. Open Terminal, then use the following command line.
iesd -i /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app -o Mavericks.dmg -t BaseSystem
Be noticed that you have to change to Mavericks.app to Yosemite.App or El Capitan.app at your particular case.
- At for Mac using Intel Haswell CPU (Macs 2013 and later), we need to fake CPU to Ivy Bridge by the following command line.
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxManage modifyvm --cpuidset 00000001 000306a9 00020800 80000201 178bfbff
- If you want to install Mountain Lion & Lion (10.7 and 10.8), InstallESD.dmg is a bootable disk image. But we need to take off the kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext.
iesd -i /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mountain\ Lion.app -o Mountain\ Lion.dmg --install-extension NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
4. Now we can run the virtual machine and install Mac OS X without any raised troubles.