How to Password Protect Folders on Mac

The guidance to Password Protect Folders on Mac will be revealed clearly in this topic
As most of us would like to keep private info away from prying eyes, I thought it would be apt to create a quick hands-on guide about how to easily encrypt a folder on macOS.

How to Password Protect Folders on Mac Using Disk Utility

• Step 1. Open Disk Utility on your Mac. (the Spotlight can help you to search and open the app simply.)

1(1)

• Step 2. Then, tap on the File menu and select New ImageImage from Folder.

• Step 3. Afterwards, you need to select the folder you desire to protect and hit Choose.

• Step 4. Now, tap on the drop-down menu next to Encryption. Then, you have two options:

128-bit AES encryption: It’s less secure but a bit faster for the encryption process.

256-bit AES encryption: It’s more secure but a little slower.

Choose the option you want. To improve security, I will select the 256-bit AES encryption.

• Step 5. Next, it’s time to enter the password and confirm it. Then, click on Choose.

Notice : Ensure that you stored the password in a note app or somewhere else in which you feel comfortable because, you cannot access your protected folder without it.

• Step 6. Next up, select the Image Format by tapping on the drop-down menu and choose from multiple options like read-only, read/write, compressed and more.

It is recommended to select read/write option because, it will help you to view the file and also make modifications.

• Step 7. It is acceptable to add the tag and select the preferred location. Then, hit Save.

The app will begin generating the disk image of the directory. Therefore, it takes a few moments for the process to be done. Next, click on Done to finish.

Now, Your folder is successfully encrepted and stored as DMG file.

Open the Encrypted Folders on Your macOS Device

• Step 1. To launch the encrypted (.dmg) file , simply double-click on it and then enter the password . Then, hit OK.

Notice : You shouldn’t check the box representing the keychain to remember the password due to the fact that it will disturb the principal objective.

• Step 2. Eventually, the mounted disk image of your folder will be visualized. Now, go ahead and navigate through the file and even edit it as desired.

Once you accessed your folder, guarantee to password protect it one more time by simply right clicking on it and choose Eject “folder name”.

After all, we generated a piece about encrypting PDF files on macOS through a slightly hidden tip.

Conclusion

Now that you know the tip to add the additional layer of protection to the folder, remember to use it to make sure all of your essential files remain protected.

I’m super happy that macOS offers a handy built-in tool to support the desired level of protection to the data. Show me your opinion about it by leaving your comments down below.