MacOS Mojave recovery was designed to help users solve the system problems caused by software malfunctions, and others hard drive problems.
Booting a Virtual Machine to Recovery Mode using one of the two following options:
OPTION 1: Use the Boot key
- Step 1: In VMware / VirtualBox, Install macOS Mojave.
- Step 2: Press the Windows and R keys at once.
- Step 3: When the macOS Recovery appear on the screen, stop pressing the keys.
OPTION 2: Use the Mojave Recovery Disk Image
A. Performing Recovery Mode booting in VirtualBox
- Step 1: Firstly, open the VirtualBox, and then tap on the macOS Mojave.
- Step 2: Select Settings then choose Storage and tap on Add.
- Step 3: Select “Mojave Recovery Boot Image.vmdk”.
- Step 4: Select OK so that your virtual machine settings can be saved.
Now turn on macOS in VirtualBox, you will see that it starts in recovery mode like the following picture.
B. Recovery Mode in VMware
- Step 1: To begin, open VMware Player, then click on the macOS Virtual Machine.
- Step 2: Select Edit Virtual Machine. Next, tap on Add.
- Step 3: Choose Hard disk, then SATA. After that, tap on Use an existing virtual disk (see the below picture)
- Step 4: There is file named Mojave Recovery Boot Image.vmdk, browse to the folder storing it and open. Choose Finish
- Step 5: Tap on New hard disk and click on Advanced. Set SATA 0:0 for the virtual device node when it appears on the screen. Now tap on OK.
Choose the macOS Mojave and set node as SATA 0:1. Then tap on OK.
- Step 6: The final step is to run the macOS Mojave virtual machine.
After the above guidance, I believe that you will find it easier to Boot your macOS Mojave to Recovery Mode.