Dia Diagram Editor is a useful and free tool to draw structured diagrams for both Mac OS X and Windows. Too many mac users prefer to use this tool because not only it is free under the terms of the GNU GNU General Public License, the GPLv2, but potentially also the valuable effectiveness in diagramming work.
However, many of users may not get it worked right away in Mac OS X Mojave, Highe Sierra, Sierra and other MacOS X (10.11 El Capitan, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.9 Mavericks,…) due to facing some errors such as:
- After installing Dia Diagram, the app is not be called and run. All is a x11 terminal windows, Dia does not start.
- The domain/default pair of (.GlobalPreferences, AppleCollationOrder) does not exist error.
- The error trace ended with GTK warning - could not open display.
- And there should have more errors that I can not update all in this topic.
Whatever the errors are, look at the following trick to get rid of trouble.
- Right click on Dia.app (found in /Applications), select Show Package Contents.
- Using a text editor to modify the dia file in Dia.app/Contents/Resources/bin.
- What you need to do is add the following line after the line 39, then make sure you save your change and quit.
- Close the XQuartz if this app is running, and then Dia Diagram should work smoothly in OS X without any errors (if not, you may attempt to restart your computer after the change).